First Marine International (FMI) is the shipyard technology and maritime market research group within Royal HaskoningDHV.
In this position you will contribute to and ultimately manage international shipyard development and performance improvement projects. Your expertise in ship production will enhance our existing team of specialist shipyard consultants. You will represent the company in front of clients, initially with some supervision.
- Shipyard design and development
- Shipyard performance improvement
- Contribute to SMART shipyard development
- Contribute to the full range of other services offered by FMI
- Conduct research into shipyard relate topics
- Travel within the UK and internationally as required
- Develop and extend the technical abilities of FMI
- Advertise and publicize the work of the company through technical publications and papers
- Ship construction experience
- Looking to make a change from ship production to consultancy
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Intellectually curious
- Highly numerate and computer literate with good analytical skills
- Energetic and motivated
- Willingness to travel outside the United Kingdom
- Able to work as part of a team and alone
- A degree or diploma in naval architecture or other marine engineering related discipline
- Significant post-graduation experience in shipyards including seven years of production management
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Chartered engineer or equivalent
- Experience in consultancy
- Membership of professional institution(s)
We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits including a contributory pension scheme, discretionary company bonus, Medical and Dental care, Life Insurance, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy. Our contributory pension scheme has been awarded the Pension Quality Mark, the highest standard of excellence available for UK company pension schemes.
We’ve been around for more than 135 years. We drive inclusive sustainable development with our clients in areas that we master and can actively influence. Our people are keen to positively change the future and leave a legacy. Our networked organisation of smart entrepreneurs connects the best and brightest people in the world. Together we have an ambition to run a financially healthy business by putting our collective intelligence into practice with clients and partners. We are commercial savvy engineers, project managers and consultants who design smart cities, airports, ports, buildings and more. We reinvent industries; co-create clean energy and fresh water by using smart data and digitizing information flows and models. More and more, we connect the digital with the real world in an accelerating pace. Working together with our clients and partners, we use data and algorithms to translate insights into foresights. We help our clients in their digital transformation and we support our clients’ business with better and faster execution of their ambitions. Enhancing society together!
First Marine International
First Marine International is a leading provider of specialist consultancy services to the international marine industry. We have an in-depth knowledge of the maritime markets, shipyard operations, international best practice and performance levels. The services we provide include:
- Market research, strategic planning and ship cost estimating
- Shipyard design, development and capability assessment
- Productivity assessment and performance improvement
- Transaction support
- The delivery of unusual and special projects
We have wide international experience and a substantial list of satisfied clients, with whom we have long-standing relationships. Our clients include naval and commercial shipyards, government departments, non-governmental organizations, marine equipment manufacturers, and the financial and legal professions worldwide. Formed in 1991, members of our team have worked on projects in over fifty countries and were first involved together in the 1970s in the design and engineering of some of the largest and most successful shipyards in the world. Our team provides expert advice and support in the following sectors:
- Commercial and Naval shipbuilding
- Ship repair, conversion and refit
- Offshore structures construction
- Marine equipment manufacturing
- Shipping and transportation
- Yacht construction and refit
FMI was founded with shipyard design, shipyard performance improvement and market research as the cornerstones of our services. These have since been complemented by others including a range of tailored services for government departments working in the naval defence sector and ship cost estimating. Our team is centered in Newcastle upon Tyne and Falmouth but we also have consultants who are based in the USA, Malta and Germany.
RoyalHaskoningDHV is an Equal Opporturnities Employer
As Royal HaskoningDHV operate projects with a BIM approach, you are expected to be aware of the UK BIM framework (previously known as BIM Level 2), your role within it and ideally have practical experience. If this is not the case, you will be expected to undertake the relevant training courses via our Digital Academy within your first 3 months of employment should you be successful.