Many ports around the world are getting busier – and there are new ports being built as we speak. They have to accommodate the demands of higher volumes of shipping traffic and bigger vessels while maintaining a safe, efficient and profitable operation.
At Royal HaskoningDHV we can support port operators and developers to find solutions to these challenges by providing a comprehensive understanding and analysis of the behaviour of moored ships and ship movements within a port.
We have a multi-disciplinary team of experts on hand dedicated to this integral part of port development and port operations. We help our clients to understand the behaviour of moored ships throughout several stages of a port’s operations, no matter what the scale, including:
- The effects of high wind speeds on mooring safety for ships with large wind areas e.g. container vessels, car carriers, RoRo vessels and cruise vessels
- The effects of waves on the behaviour of moored ships in port basins, particularly where ports will be expanded towards sea or where ships are moored to jetties more exposed to waves (commonly used in the Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) and cruise markets)
- The effects of passing vessels where berths will be located next to busier waterways
We use state-of-the-art practices so that cost-effective solutions can be found to ensure the safe mooring of ships and to increase the efficiency of the berths. In addition, we can identify ways for our clients to reduce investments costs, for example in relation to the change of use or extension of the lifetime of existing assets or foreseen port expansions.
On any port or marine infrastructure project, there will be multiple nautical issues to be considered.
Royal HaskoningDHV provide practical operational solutions to the nautical challenges that are often involved in new developments, in updates to existing facilities and in increases in vessel sizes and traffic volumes. We are able to provide expert advice and checks at all stages of the development quickly and efficiently to keep the project on-track and moving forward.
Our team of experts provides a wide-range of nautical services for the design and evaluation of port infrastructure and navigation channels, including:
- Dimensional design
- Downtime analyses
- Safety assessments
- Port capacity studies
- Determination of necessary marine services, tug fleets, etc.
- The layout of the aids to navigation
- Ship manoeuvring simulations
To find out how Royal HaskoningDHV can help you with your next project contact Alex van Deyzen (Mooring) or Jacco Valstar (Nautical)
Services within this area