The strict protection of marine mammals is a key consideration when working on any project in the marine environment.
By working with Royal HaskoningDHV you can ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and applicable guidance, assuring that any potential risks to marine mammals and their habitats are appropriately mitigated throughout the life cycle of your project. This will help secure the protection and perpetuation of these species for future generations, as well as a favourable outcome for your project.
We employ a strongly science-led approach in our advice and services, applying the findings from the most recent and innovative research in this field to create sustainable marine development solutions.
We can provide a complete marine mammal support package using this approach together with our extensive experience in supporting a range of marine sectors including:
- Offshore wind;
- Tidal energy;
- Port and harbour developments; and
- Coastal developments.
Our marine mammal specialists are led by recognised international marine mammal experts who have a professional and academic background in applied marine mammal research.
The team is experienced in providing a wide range of impact assessments and have detailed knowledge and experience of regulatory requirements, legislation, policy and guidance, both nationally and internationally. They have also provided advice on and designed monitoring and mitigation programmes during post-consent installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning phases of projects using their adaptive management approach.
Wherever your projects in the UK and around the world, we provide a full range of marine mammal services from the early concept stages of a project right through to decommissioning. These include:
- Site or zone appraisal, screening and scoping.
- Statutory consultee and stakeholder engagement.
- Desk-based appraisals and assessments, for example, determining noise modelling requirements and the interpretation of noise modelling studies or conducting collision risk assessments to inform environmental assessments, including population level effects.
- Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and Environmental Statements (ES).
- Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA).
- European Protected Species (EPS) Licences.
- Discharge of planning conditions.
- Fieldwork design, management and supervision.
- Subcontractor procurement, coordination and management.
- Technical reviews and advice.
- Expert witnesses during issue specific hearings.
Our experience spans a vast range of projects during the scoping, pre-consent and post-consent phases. Key projects include:
Offshore wind farm developments
Dogger Bank A, B & C Projects; East Anglia THREE, ONE North and TWO; Norfolk Vanguard and Boreas; Dudgeon and Sheringham Shoal Extensions; Dudgeon; Galloper; Moray East; Hornsea Project One; and Race Bank.
Morlais Brims, Perpetuus Tidal Energy Centre, Anglesey Skerries, Westray South, Sound of Islay and Strangford Lough. Port developments in the UK and overseas Holyhead, Hartlepool, Harwich, Purfleet and and Duqm.
Coastal and other developments
Sizewell C Nuclear Power Project, Wylfa Newydd Project and Goodwin Sands Dredging Scheme.
Through this work we have established a reputation as the leading provider of marine mammal advice to the offshore renewable industry and are well respected by regulators and statutory nature conservation bodies