Until recently, Shell occupied 6 different office buildings in and around the EPiCentre site in Rijswijk, the Netherlands. In 2006, a feasibility study commissioned by Shell Real Estate for Shell Exploration and Production (Shell EP), proved considerable cost savings when bringing together the staff of the 6 buildings into one single accommodation. The new Alaska Office Building is 27,500 m2 and will accommodate 1,500 desks/work stations.
The main objectives of this project were to save costs and to obtain more synergy between the various business units and employees.
It was our responsibility to co-ordinate the process and the negotiations with the developer to come to a tailor-made building for Shell and a sound lease agreement. From project management, decision-making, drawing up the Programme of Requirements (PoR), the floor plan (including innovative workplace concepts) to monitoring and completion (shell and core/fit out) were in the hands of the Royal HaskoningDHV experts.
The entire project was commissioned by Shell Real Estate (RE). The Shell RE team focused on investigating new ambitious, innovative ways of working that should lead to further optimising workspaces and thus minimising required office space. This new way of working was developed by us based on best practices inside and outside the Shell organisation (based on Shell's guidelines 'Shell Works'). The processes and procedures were in accordance with Shell’s own procedures in terms of HSSE and Shell's real estate policies and guidelines. All other major elements in terms of building services, Security, ICT, FM, Hospitality Services, other systems and installations, and sustainability aspects formed part of this project.
Royal HaskoningDHV was very proud to have worked on this project for Shell RE. It was particularly challenging because the entire project had to be carried out following a tight schedule due to expiring lease contracts. It was an example of how our project management and technical expertise came together to result in the successful completion and use of the new building.
"The Royal HaskoningDHV people are excellent sparring partners. They have a broad area of expertise. Therefore they are extremely capable of looking further than their own disciplines."
- Project management
- Setting up the technical project team
- Guidance and co-ordination of Shell RE internal project team internal (Shell staff) and external project partners
- Setting up the PoR (shell and core/fit-out). The PoR was part of the development contract and therefore secured future values of Shell EP
- Guarding and monitoring the PoR during the design process
- Supporting Shell RE with technical negotiation process
- Layout and floor plan
- Health Safety Security and Environment (HSSE) consultancy according to Shell HSSE aspects
- Functional and spatial aspects: Flexibility of the architectural and structural design, Health Safety Environment aspects, Security, Sustainability, Installations (Electrical and mechanical), ICT, FM related logistics
- Co-ordination of completion
- Co-ordination/preparation of the hand-over to the Shell Facility Department