Nereda is the innovative, sustainable and cost-effective biological wastewater treatment technology that purifies water using the unique features of aerobic granular biomass. Read more about the Nereda technology here.The challenge for many cities and industries around the world is to find cost-effective, sustainable and simple solutions for sanitation that have a small footprint and meet the most stringent purification requirements.
Nereda offers that solution. The success of Nereda is its high water treatment capability in combination with significantly lower investment and operational costs, a very small physical footprint (up to a factor 4 smaller) and high energy savings (20-30%).
Nereda treats wastewater with the unique features of so-called aerobic granular biomass: purifying bacteria that create compact granules with superb settling properties. The technology was invented by the Delft University of Technology, in the Netherlands, and developed in a unique public private-partnership between the University, the Dutch Foundation for Applied Water Research (STOWA), the Dutch Water Boards and Royal HaskoningDHV. After 20 years of research and development this innovative biological solution is now proving itself to be a leap forward in wastewater treatment technology.
Nereda is being used internationally for the sustainable and cost-effective treatment of industrial and domestic wastewater. With tank sizes already similar to the world’s largest SBR-tanks, the technology is proven and suitable for even the largest applications.
- 10 plants are in operation or under construction in the Netherlands, Portugal and South Africa
- 20 projects are in various stages of the pipeline in Australia, Brazil, UK, Poland, France, Germany, Portugal and South Africa
The performance of Nereda plants is great and exceeds those of activated sludge. For example the effluent of the Epe plant - designed for flows up to 1,500 m3/h - shows that Nereda even exceeds expectations. The energy consumption of the WWTP is significantly less than any type of similar-sized conventional treatment plant in the Netherlands. Furthermore the effluent quality meets the highest standards, i.e. total Nitrogen and Phosphorous concentrations lower than 5 and 0.3 mg/l.
The robustness and stability of the treatment process under strong varying influent load conditions and extreme influent pH fluctuations is remarkable. Furthermore, even during wintry conditions, extensive nitrogen removal could be established at very high biological sludge loads.
Characteristics of Nereda:
- Cost-effective, both in capital expenditure and operational costs
- Plant footprint up to a factor 4 smaller
- Significantly lower energy consumption (20-30%)
- No/minimal waste generating chemicals
- Capable of delivering excellent effluent quality, removing N and P in one single process.
- Compact: no separate clarifiers and aerobic/anoxic/anaerobic compartments
- No odour
- Easy to operate, with little mechanical/electrical equipment
- Fitting designs for municipalities, industries and combined municipal-industrial plants
- Attractive solution for greenfield installations and for retrofitting or extending conventional activated sludge plants
- Proven hybrid applications as extensions to existing conventional plants