Senior Expert Toxicology - Human Health
We are looking for a senior expert toxicology who will join our committed and experienced team of HSE experts who advise leading (industrial) customers regarding safety for people and the environment in complex situations. Based on our knowledge of substances, processes and uses, we help to identify, reduce and manage risks. We look at technology, organization and people / behavior and do this increasingly by making use of data science.
The job and responsibilities
As a senior toxicologist in Royal HaskoningDHV you are involved in a variety of projects aimed to positively impact the health of workers, consumers and general public. These projects vary from ensuring product safety in relation to international chemicals legislation, to consultancy on innovative projects involving risks of chemical substances, e.g. in relation to the Circular Economy. You work together with experts and consultants with a background in (eco)toxicology, chemistry, industrial hygiene and other, mostly technical, disciplines.
As an expert in a dynamic and commercial organization you use a combination of entrepreneurial, commercial and technical skills to work in project teams and develop integral solutions to support our clients’ business case, today and in the future. You are able to motivate yourself and use a good set of interpersonal skills to coach and motivate others. By being visible and active on external platforms through symposia, events and social media you build and maintain a productive network which allows for a continuous dialogue with industry, authorities and scientists.
Main tasks and responsibilities
As a senior expert in human toxicology you are responsible r the toxicological content and quality of projects related to product and chemical safety. The majority of the projects you work on are related to the registration, evaluation and authorisation of chemical substances under REACH, but also to EU regulatory frameworks (e.g. CLP, Food Contact Materials, BPR, Medical Devices). Clients include (International) industry, (REACH) consortia, industrial associations and various authorities.
- You initiate and participate in these projects, working together with a young and enthusiastic team including colleagues with different backgrounds and expertise.
- You communicate and stay in close contact with our customers and other stakeholders, in particular large global industries. Representation of clients in industry or industrial assocations.
- You participate in multidisciplinary and innovative consultancy projects across different groups within the company, involving risks of chemical substances, e.g. in relation to Circular Economy.
- Pro-actively sharing new insights and knowlegde internally, as well as externally e.g. as a speaker at symposia and conferences and on social media platforms.
- University degree or comparable education in toxicology, environmental sciences, chemistry and/or biology or equivalent. Preferably PhD in the field of toxicology. A recent track record of (peer-reviewed) publications is considered a plus.
- EUROTOX registration - certification as toxicologist (ERT).
- At least 10 years of relevant working experience, preferably in a consultancy firm, as freelancer or in an industrial environment. Of which more than 3 years professional experience in regulatory toxicology and detailed knowledge of valid approaches in hazard, exposure and risk assessment.
- Extensive practical experience with testing regimes according to international guidelines (e.g. EU, OECD), alternative approaches like QSAR and read-across, and classification of chemical substances .
- Specialized knowledge in one of the following topics will be considered a plus: substances of very high concern (SVHC / ZZS), food contact materials, biocides, endocrine disruption, mixture toxicity and/or nanotoxicology.
- Have a broad network in industry , excellent communication and networking skills.
- Excellent language skills in Dutch and English (spoken and written) Knowledge of the German and/or Spanish language is considered a plus.