We are looking for a Senior Consultant with a good external network in the maritime industry including banks and investors, also covering key clients in London. We expect the Senior Consultant is able to contribute to further develop our market presence as well as deliver services to our clients.
The position is based in London and will involve worldwide travel as well utilising OSC and Royal HaskoningDHV regional offices.
The department Ocean Shipping Consultants is a specialist unit providing market and operational support to the global ports and shipping industries. Based in London, the Netherlands, and Singapore – the E&O team has a blue chip global client base covering major shipping lines, port and terminal operators and financial clients.
- Management and responsibility for project work (UK and overseas), to include report writing, field work, supervision, organisation, consultation and project management.
- Presentation in both external and internal arenas.
- Business development and proposal writing.
- Promotion of the team’s activities in marine services.
- Developing and maintaining key client relationships and act as “account manager” for a selected number of key clients
- Developing and maintaining a strong network in the market
- Identifying potential leads and sharing them with other members of the team as required
- Proactively following up on leads by using network to find out more about the lead with a view to establishing whether or not the lead should be pursued
- Visiting clients to discuss the lead and/or proposal directly with them as appropriate
- Delivering top quality proposals both technically and commercially
- Negotiating the final agreement with the client
- Proactively maintain high level contact with the client to monitor satisfaction and take action if necessary with the DAG to rectify any issues
- Assist the DAG with the employment of new/additional staff or redeployment of existing staff. Where appropriate this may include resource and succession planning, developing job descriptions and interviewing candidates for new appointments.
- Staff technical training
- Knowledge management including acquisition and sharing
In addition to the above act as member of the senior management team in the following areas:
- Business Development and Marketing
- Project Acquisition
- Staff Training and Recruitment
- Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing
- Encourage staff to actively ‘win’ work through their reputation internally / externally.
- Ensure all client activity is recorded on CRM.
Contributing to the Advisory Group specifically and the Maritime & Aviation Business Line more generally in the following areas:
• Leading and promoting technical excellence in the Business Line
• Keeping abreast of key technical developments and innovations within the industry. Bringing these forward to the senior management team with proposals for implementation in the Business Line as required
• Sharing technical knowledge / innovations with other Royal HaskoningDHV Business Lines as and when requested
• Acting as an independent adjudicator and expert determiner from time to time
• Act as peer reviewer
Required skills and experience
- Substantial experience within a similar role
- In-depth knowledge of the shipping and port markets gained in a professional position, preferably in a consultancy environment.
- A strong academic background
- Experience of managing more junior staff for project delivery
- Strong business development skills and experience gained within a similar industry
- Direct experience in shipping and port consultancy
- Language skills will also be an important qualification.
We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits, including a flexible working policy, a contributory pension scheme, discretionary company bonus, Medical and Dental care, Life Insurance and 25 days holiday. Our contributory pension scheme has been awarded the Pension Quality Mark, the highest standard of excellence available for UK company pension schemes.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer
As Royal HaskoningDHV operate projects with a BIM approach, you are expected to be aware of the UK BIM framework (previously known as BIM Level 2), your role within it and ideally have practical experience. If this is not the case, you will be expected to undertake the relevant training courses via our Digital Academy within your first 3 months of employment should you be successful.