We have an opportunity for an Environmental Consultant specialising in Ornithology to join our Environment team and work alongside some of the most experienced ecological and environmental consultants in the UK. The successful candidate will join our existing Ornithology team, and proactively contribute to our in-house technical work ensuring that outputs meet and exceed the quality expected by our clients. We offer a dynamic and stimulating work environment with the opportunity to apply your knowledge and technical expertise to the real-world challenges of sustainable development, as well as excellent prospects for continuing professional and personal development. The location of this role can be in one of the following, Edinburgh, Peterborough, Newcastle or London.
Given Royal HaskoningDHV’s market leading position
in offshore wind EIA and consenting, a large proportion of the work will be
focused on marine and coastal ornithology. In addition, we have an extensive
portfolio of work encompassing various other sectors, and your advice is likely
to be required on multiple projects of various sizes including other energy
developments, port expansion works, and other developments on- and offshore.
The main areas of work will be:
- Ornithological / ecological consultancy;
- Provide specialist ornithology technical support to Senior and Principal Ornithologists, others within the Environment team, and the wider business;
- Ornithological baseline survey and monitoring design, data curation, collation and analysis;
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Technical Reporting, and Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA);
- Supporting the delivery of developments and projects within the UK Consent and Planning system and/or Marine Licensing regime.
What we’d like to see:
- Bachelor of Science degree including ecology or conservation or related discipline;
A Doctorate or Masters in avian ecology or conservation, or related discipline, and/or
- Work experience with a focus on ornithology in environmental consultancy, regulatory / statutory authorities (such as MMO, Marine Scotland, NRW, SNH, Natural England) or a relevant Non-Government Organisation;
- Knowledge of bird ecology, survey techniques, survey design and analysis, particularly in relation to marine and coastal environments;
- Numeracy skills and an ability to work with data and to understand and interpret the outputs of industry standard tools such as collision risk models;
- Expertise in data analyses, statistics and ecological modelling (e.g. population viability analysis), ideally including experience using GIS and R software or equivalent;
- Understanding of UK environmental law and policy, and the potential effects of development on (especially marine and coastal) bird species;
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including experience of technical writing / reporting;
- Organisational, and time management skills;
- The ability to work on your own initiative and also as part of a team;
- Willingness to travel, including possibly to international destinations.
We’ve been around for more than 135 years. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy, committed to driving inclusive sustainable development with our clients in areas that we master and can actively influence. Our people are keen to positively change the future and leave a legacy. Our networked organisation of smart entrepreneurs connects the best and brightest people in the world. Together we have an ambition to run a financially healthy business by putting our collective intelligence into practice with clients and partners. We reinvent industries; co-create clean energy and fresh water by using smart data and digitizing information flows and models. More and more, we connect the digital with the real world in an accelerating pace. Working together with our clients and partners, we use data and algorithms to translate insights into foresights. We help our clients in their digital transformation, and we support our clients’ business with better and faster execution of their ambitions.
Let’s enhance society together!
BIM (Building Information Modelling)
As Royal HaskoningDHV operate projects with a BIM approach, you are expected to be aware of the UK BIM framework (previously known as BIM Level 2), your role within it and ideally have practical experience. If this is not the case, you will be expected to undertake the relevant training courses via our Digital Academy within your first 3 months of employment should you be successful.