Overall Purpose and Objectives
A Design Manager is required to manage and deliver the design output for small to medium design projects for Royal Haskoning DHV. Ideally, you will have experience in a relative design discipline whether Architectural, Civil/Structural or Building Services.
Reporting to the Associate for Project Management, you will be required to work independently, while having support and development input. You need have an approachable personaility, to form relationships with RHDHV internal teams, Stakeholders, third part specialists and Clients, delivering a focal point for the project communication.
The role will be based within the Birmingham office but you will be required to travel to head office in Peterborough from time to time and also to client premises and sites for design meetings throughout the UK. Oversees travel may also be required.
- Manage design teams and achieve technically correct designs on programme, and within agreed budget;
- Design manage communications upstream to the Client, and downstream to the team as appropriate;
- Design manage documentation to support the delivery of designs (project management plan, programme, RFI register, risk and opportunities register etc.);
- Understand and have an awareness of commercial pressures, and act upon directed instruction to raise commercial contractual documents covering scope, change control, payment applications etc.;
- Support the growth of RHDHV where approproiate by developing relationships with clients and engaging in business development for new and repeat business;
- Run design enquiries/proposals and support medium and large bids.
- Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
You will be expected to carry out the following functions:
- To monitor delivery against the client brief and produce design reports, design programmes, deliverables registers, reporting to the client to ensure project is under control;
- To deliver small to medium multi-disciplinary design projects for clients ensuring excellent technical delivery against the brief according to the RHDHV Management Systems;
- To manage and co-ordinate internal design resource, facilitate design meetings with both internal and external designers;
- Act as enquiry manager for bids involving review of scope with client, forming the brief, mobilising and engaging with RHDHV design/enquiry teams and delivering winning bids;
- To ensure commercial control over design projects involving setting of project budgets, allocating fee targets, monitoring fee spend, carrying out change control with client and liaising with internal commercial teams to deliver agreed margins on projects.
- To act as key interface with clients on allocated projects, understanding and seeking out opportunities and ensuring that RHDHV are well placed to deliver;
- Develop to be accountable for high levels of performance for our clients in terms of design, buildability, CDM, sustainability and best value;
- Support the positive culture in order to promote happy Client and repeat business.
Qualifications and training
- Relevant degree in a design/construction discipline or proven relevant design management knowledge/exerience;
- Understanding of 2015 CDM regulations;
- Understanding of project programming (MS Project/Primavera);
- Understanding and experience of Design & Project Management;
- Understanding of M&E and civil/structural/Architectural design and installations in order to converse with the design teams.
- NEC contract knowledge is preferable
- Technical skills and experience
Good design management skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good interpersonal/social skills;
- Self ownership of owning risk/responsibility of actions.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer
As Royal HaskoningDHV operate projects with a BIM approach, you are expected to be aware of the UK BIM framework (previously known as BIM Level 2), your role within it and ideally have practical experience. If this is not the case, you will be expected to undertake the relevant training courses via our Digital Academy within your first 3 months of employment should you be successful.