We’ve been around for more than 135 years. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy, committed to driving inclusive sustainable development with our clients in areas that we master and can actively influence. Our people are keen to positively change the future and leave a legacy. Our networked organisation of smart entrepreneurs connects the best and brightest people in the world. Together we have an ambition to run a financially healthy business by putting our collective intelligence into practice with clients and partners. We reinvent industries; co-create clean energy and fresh water by using smart data and digitizing information flows and models. More and more, we connect the digital with the real world in an accelerating pace. Working together with our clients and partners, we use data and algorithms to translate insights into foresights. We help our clients in their digital transformation, and we support our clients’ business with better and faster execution of their ambitions.
Let’s enhance society together!
Control System Engineer
Our increasing workload from a range of challenging and high profile local, national and international projects has led to the need to expand our engineering design and consultancy team within the UK. Our current and future workload includes specialist machinery / moving structures control and electrical system engineering for projects worldwide. Projects typically include but are not limited to multi-use ports, container terminals, bulk and cargo terminals, shipyards, naval bases, airports, manufacturing facilities and industrial sites.
We require a Control System
Engineer to deliver design and provide general consultancy services to existing
and new clients. The ideal candidate will have experience in electrical
control systems for machinery.
Experience with moving structures including lift bridges, swing bridges, Linkspans, Sea Port Passenger Boarding Bridges and lock gates would be particularly advantageous. In addition, knowledge of pumping systems, PLC / ICSS systems, SCADA systems, CCTV systems, Fire Detection and Alarm Systems and mechanical drive systems (electro mechanical and fluid power) would also be beneficial.
The role will have significant project responsibility and will require extensive communication and coordination skills in order to work effectively with our clients and project design teams, as well as vendors and contractors.
You will be involved in all phases of a project including feasibility studies, concept designs, detailed design and the development of system specifications. This is an exciting opportunity to work within a highly skilled and experienced team, with the added benefit of professional development exposure and support on undertaking continuous professional development.
Flexibility, dynamism and the willingness to assist with the development of junior staff in our growing team are some of the key qualities which will be required to ensure our team continues to thrive.
The principal roles of the Control System Engineer are as set out below:
- Carry out consultancy and designs predominately at the feasibility, preliminary and concept design stages for major infrastructure projects to applicable standards, codes and practices
- Develop Employer’s Requirements and Scoping Documentation
- Carry out surveys and inspections of existing control and electrical equipment
- Carry out site supervision and act as the client’s representative
- Develop strategies to enable our clients to upgrade and develop their moving structures to meet their current and future business needs
- Take part in client and equipment manufacturer meetings and workshops to develop solutions which implement the latest control system technology and thinking
- Liaise with senior management and other project team members
- Liaise with clients, the public, local authorities and other stakeholders
- Share knowledge and expertise
- Carry out design tasks which include the production of drawings, calculations, PFD / P&ID diagrams, selection of equipment, specifications, reports and cost estimates associated with IT equipment
- Plan, co-ordinate, manage, organise and execute work packages and deliverables to meet the project requirements, programme and cost to produce a positive result for the company
- Be aware of client needs and focus on client satisfaction
- Undertake continuous professional development to satisfy the Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Undertake such duties as to comply with Statutory and Legislative duties such as that required by CDM
The role will be based in Leeds; however, you will need to be flexible and be prepared to work elsewhere in the UK and occasionally overseas as required.
- Assist and support the greater team which includes Instrumentation and Control, Security, SCADA, Fire and Gas Detection Systems, Electrical and Mechanical drive systems
- Carry out any duties which your line manager may reasonably request within the broad parameters of your role
- Broad IT, Networks and System knowledge
- Enthusiasm to learn, take on new challenges and deliver high quality work
- Flexible and adaptable approach, with focus on delivery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good personal time management skills
- Good client focus and management
- Strong commercial acumen
- BEng (Hons) or MEng in IT / Systems Design Engineering or substantial work experience
- Membership of Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Attainment of, or working towards professional registration with the Engineering Council UK (ECUK) at Incorporated level (IEng) or Chartered level (CEng)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Industrial Control System Design / Consultancy
- Process / Instrumentation and Control
- Maritime Engineering (Ports, Shipyards etc)
- Knowledge and practical experience of:
- Control System Design
- Functional Design Specifications / Functional Safety
- Industrial System Integration
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
- Machinery and Control System Standards
- Knowledge of key EU and UK legislation
- Knowledge and practical experience of AutoCAD, Revit and Microsoft Office applications
Due to the outbreak of Covid- 19 we cannot guarantee that your application will be processed according to our standard procedure. Be aware that it is possible that you might experience a delayed response to your application. Furthermore, the start date of the vacancy might change. Please keep this in mind when applying for this vacancy. We apologize for the inconvenience and want to thank you for your understanding. For further information or questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
BIM (Building Information Modelling)
As Royal HaskoningDHV operate projects with a BIM approach, you are expected to be aware of the UK BIM framework (previously known as BIM Level 2), your role within it and ideally have practical experience. If this is not the case, you will be expected to undertake the relevant training courses via our Digital Academy within your first 3 months of employment should you be successful.