Chief Consultant (For Expats only- other than Indian nationality)
The Project is located in Karwar on the south western coast of India (south of Goa). The project is to construct the expansion of an existing Naval Base. Royal HaskoningDHV is in a Consortium partnership with MECON Ltd and are appointed as the Design and Supervision Consultant for the Dockyard and Fleetbase buildings package. This package has been divided into 3 construction contracts (DY, FBB-1 & FBB-2), with a total estimated CAPEX of 3300 crore or $ 0.5bn.
The position is to be the Chief Consultant, who will be the ultimate lead for the performance of the services on the consultancy contract during the contract award and execution stages. The position will involve multiple facets including, but not limited to:
- Supervision of the construction works
- Leading and coordinating the supervision team
- Coordinating the contractor’s queries and submission reviews on site and in head office
- Interfacing with other construction packages managed by the project management consultant and other design consultants, plus local agencies/authorities as required (such as power and utility companies)
- Liaison with the Employer and PMC, building strong professional relationships to resolve complex technical, commercial and construction related issues
- Coordinate the smooth running of the relationships of all the parties/stakeholders involved being MECON, RHDHV, PMC, Indian Navy, Contractors and the supervision team
- Managing the internal RHDHV process as Project manager
- Project management and oversight of construction related activities. This will include the ownership of the project scope, timeline, and budget.
- Liaise with the Employer (Indian Navy) and Project Management Consultant (PMC) on a frequent basis to resolve project related issues.
- Coordinate the construction support required from the engineering teams in head office
- Budget and cost control (including reforecasting) for the consultancy services.
- Line management for the supervision team, such as identifying recruitment requirements, coordination with HR, performance reviews etc
- Driving costs down and schedules shorter while maintaining quality.
- Lead the review of constructability of contractor’s shop drawings and method statements
- Recording and reporting key metrics to team members and management.
- Concurrently managing multiple packages
- Chairing monthly meetings at site
- 25 years’ experience in technical planning, design, construction of significant infrastructure projects including installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Construction in a multi project/package environment with complex interfaces and schedule dependencies
- Being assigned as the Engineer under the terms of FIDIC red book
- Experience with award, administration and closeout of FIDIC red book contracts
- CAPEX of single projects managed as the Engineer or client project manager/director should be at least $1bn for an international project or $0.5bn for an Indian project
- International project experience
- Leading a construction supervision team of direct reports of 20 or more including project controls, construction managers, resident engineers, inspectors, quality engineers, quantity surveyors and contract administrators
- Multidisciplinary coordination and interfacing
- Sound understanding of engineering, construction, contract administration and procurement processes to be able to lead and mentor a construction supervision team
- Green field and brownfield projects
- Construction in an operational military base/environment
- Indian design and construction experience strongly desired
- Consultancy background
- Masters or bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Civil engineering or Construction Management
- Qualifications and training in project management
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to form relationships internally and externally at various levels
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual with limited oversight.
- Result driven
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions prior to and during the construction process to reduce costs and schedules with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Manage site staff in an effective manner and leading the team
- Mentoring Indian staff on international standards of supervision